K9 Nose Work® NW2 Trial
(4 elements – interior, exterior, vehicles and containers, all Birch & Anise only)
Trial Location: Northmead NSW
Certifying Official: Marion Brand
Entry Cost: $100 per dog and handler team
One dog per household
Must have passed official ACSW birch & anise ORTs and have passed an official ACSW NW1 trial
- The handler of the dogs must have a current ACSW membership.
- The dog must be registered with ACSW (see acsw.com.au for more details)
- The dog must have passed an ACSW ORT (in birch and anise) and a NW1 trial to be eligible to enter this trial
- Trial entries will close 17 September 2017 – limit of 25 dogs – if more than 25 entries are received then there will be a ballot
- ACSW and K9 Nose Time reserves the right to cancel a trial if minimum entry numbers are not met
- Any entries that contain incorrect or misleading information may result in disqualification from the trial
- The venue location will be emailed to all successful applicants around 2 weeks prior to the trial
- Plan to arrive at the trial location at 8 am to register – a walk through will be conducted at 8 30 am.
- Please bring membership cards and the dogs scorebook to the trial
- No Spectators are permitted in the search areas during the trial except
ACSW & K9 Nose Time officials, adults accompanying a minor, CNWI-in-training and judges in training
- Please remember that K9 Nose Time events welcome dogs of all description and temperaments. We rely on participants to respect the needs of all other dogs on the ground. As such, any dog, whether competing or not, will not be permitted to roam or socialize with any other dogs in the vicinity of the trial grounds. Exhibitors are responsible for the comfort and behavior of their dogs.
- Yellow ribbons and cones designate areas reserved for reactive dogs on for parking and peeing
- All dogs must be on a leash at all times when not being tested.
- Dogs and handlers must stay in designated areas to avoid contaminating testing space, interrupting a test, or from viewing part of the testing.
- The dog’s owner is responsible for having their dog ready when it is to be judged. Be prepared to keep your dog in your car or in a crate by your car when not being tested. You are responsible for picking up after your dog
- Females in season – please contact your trial host (K9 Nose Time) if this becomes a possibility
Description of Trial
Only odours Birch, and Anise, will be included for this title. Each search area may contain odour #1 (Birch) and/or odour #2 (Anise), two of the same odour (Birch or Anise), or a combination odour of Anise/Birch. Number of hides will be stated on all elements. This information will be communicated to the handlers at the briefing. There will be one, two or three hides in each search area. In each area the time will stop and the search will end when the handler calls ‘Finish’. The handler should not say ‘Finish’ until all the hides in an area have been located and called (‘Alert’). In the event the handler has correctly located all the hides and has not said ‘Finish’, the handler will still pass the element, but will be given the full time allotted to the search. If at any time a handler makes an incorrect call (‘Alert’), they will not be given the opportunity to continue searching for additional hides in that element. NOTE: In the interior search, the competitor will not be allowed to continue searching the current interior search area, but they will be allowed to move on to any remaining interior search areas). They will keep the points for hides correctly located in that element prior to the incorrect call. The time awarded will be the time limit for that element or interior search area.
- Container Search:
- Always on leash
- At least one distractor (i.e. food, toys). Distractors will be within the containers used for the container search.
- Containers may be boxes, luggage, or containers set in any arrangement.
- Any combination of boxes, luggage and containers may be used.
- The handler is required to identify the container containing the hide, they are not required to identify the specific location of the hide in the container.
- Interior Building Search:
- May be on or off leash as designated by the Certifying Official
- Two search areas
- No blank areas. (Areas without odour that must be searched and deemed clear of odour.)
- Exterior Area Search:
- On leash; may be off leash option but only if area is secure
o Vehicle Search:
- On leash
- Up to four vehicles. There may be multiple odours on vehicles.
Competitor must pass all 4 elements at the same trial in order to gain the NW2 title.
For more information please review the offical ACSW rulebook acsw.com.au/rulebook
All competitors/handlers and spectators are expected to follow the rules of the ACSW and demonstrate good sportsmanship. This includes making sure the hide placements are unknown to the handler prior to testing and kept secret from other competitors. Please do not discuss hide placement or any details of a dog’s performance that may provide information or clues to other handlers or may be overheard.
The Bravo award is given at the NW2 level to the most outstanding rescue dog that demonstrates extraordinary ability and spirit in nose work. A rescue dog may be defined as a dog that was not purchased from a breeder, private party or store. The dog may have been adopted from a shelter, rescued from the street, fostered with a rescue organization, etc. The five highest scoring rescue dogs will be considered for the Bravo Award when available. A dog may only receive this award one time. Rescue designation is taken from your ACSW dog registration information.
ACSW Score Book:
Remember to bring your dogs ACSW Scorebook to have your trial results recorded. If you bring your scorebook it is your responsibility to pick it up before leaving the trial site. It is not the responsibility of the host or ACSW to return scorebooks or score sheets that are left behind or to mail ribbons that are not picked up.
Video Recording and Photography:
Videos and photos of the competition or competition areas are not allowed at this time, except by ACSW approved photographers/videographers. No portion of any event may be videotaped or photographed for commercial or other purposes without written authorization from ACSW. All photographs, video broadcast, and telecast rights for ACSW events are the exclusive property of ACSW.
As a condition of your entry, you agree to allow ACSW, or their agents, to video you and your dog, during the entirety of the trial. These videos are the property of ACSW. All competitors, through entry at any ACSW event, waive any and all rights relative to video broadcast or photography of such event.
All trial related questions, contact K9 Nose Time – firstname.lastname@example.org
- NW2 Trial 15 Oct 2017
October 15, 2017
8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Venue: Bundilla Scout Camp